Editing My Music Video

Editing my Music Video / Order of my clips

In this post I will show what software I have used to edit my music video. I will talk about the thought processes that I had when I was editing and what were the ideas that inspired me. I will also include a list on which I show a rough idea of the order of the shots I will have. however this will not be accurate because during editing I might change my mind and might not want to put it in the same order. 

In my video I`m planning to have about 30 to 35 shots. I believe this is the right amount of shots because it wont feel repetitive, however it wont have the feeling that its just a lots of shots put together. The shots that I will have will be longer, around the 7 second mark. This will suit my music video more and it makes it more melancholic and realistic. Below is a rough order of the clips in which I will put them in. This order is also based on the story board of my music video. However that has been made a few weeks before the actual filming, therefore there were many changes in it as I had many new ideas which changed the story. Once I have filmed all of my clips I have renamed the file. 



This is a screenshot of the folder where I have stored the shots which I have shot with my brothers phone. Since Lucians camera wasn`t always available we had to use our phones. I have put this in a separate folder so when I`m editing I know where these specific clips were. I have also gave different names for the clips so I was able to plan and I know which clips I have. Moreover during editing it made it much quicker because I knew which clip was which one. 



The screenshot above shows all of the clips that we have filmed with Lucians camera. I have also renamed all of the files so during the editing process it will be much faster. 

My editing software

In order to edit my clips I have used a editing software called Adobe Premier Elements. This is the software that we were provided in school however I had a difficulty editing at the school computers because the clips I have were very large files and it was lagging too much. Luckily my dad had the same software on his computer at home and he allowed me to use it. This software was the best that I could have used because it was very simple and easy to use. I have tried other editing softwares such as Luminar and Final cut however they were very complicated and would`ve cost me around £50 to use it for a month. Moreover Adobe Premier Elements also had all of the features that I wanted to have in my video. 

Above is a screenshot of the editing software which I have used to edit my music video. This screenshot shows all of the features Some of the features it has I didn`t have to use as they are too advanced for me but it was good to know that I had the options to. 



Advantages of using this software:
- Most of its features were easy to use which made the editing process quicker because I didn`t have to spend any time looking at tutorials on YouTube on how to use it.
- All of the features that I wanted to use in my video I was able to carry out. For example it was very important for my video that I was able to use different colour schemes such as grey-scale as it added a lot of character to my video. Another essential I was able to do is the time lapse. This means I was able to make clips slow or fast motion which I have used a lot. There were also a wide range of time options I could choose from so I could find the perfect one for the clip. None of them was too slow or too quick.
- I did not have to pay for this software. This is good because I didn`t have to spend as much of my filming budget on the buying the software. 
- Since my dad already had the software there was no rush for me to finish the video in a month as even if I did pay for it I would only have payed for a month. 

Disadvantages of using this software:

- The main disadvantage of using this software was that it was on my dads laptop. This meant that I was only able to edit my video if he wasn`t using his laptop.This meant that I wasn`t always able to edit my video when I wanted to. Therefore if a deadline was close by and I couldn`t access the software I had to ask the teacher for a extension which usually was a day or two.
- Another disadvantage is that there was one feature that was very hard to use. it was actually putting the music behind the video. Since the video had to be 30 seconds long I only had to use 3 minutes of the song as well. However the song was about 4 minutes. There was option for me to just to cut the end of the song off which made it much more complicated and had to ask someone who has more experience with the software.

Evaluation
Overall I was very happy with the quality of the editing software and if I had to start it all again I would have still used Adobe Premier Elements. 

Comments

Popular Posts